With the holiday hustle and bustle it is easy to get wrapped up and forget that we need to pay extra attention to our fur kids. Holiday time can be fun and exciting but can also have some serious dangers to our pets.
Below are six things to be aware of and help keep your pet safe.
1. Ribbons, tinsel, garland and Styrofoam are dangerous if ingested by fur babies. These materials can cause intestinal obstruction and/or severe damage to the intestines.
2. Ice melts can damage a pet’s footpads; while anti-freeze can be toxic at very low levels. Be sure to purchase pet-friendly formulas.
3. Toxic holiday plants – holly, mistletoe, poinsettias and some lilies – can be life-threatening to fur babies.
4. Prevent your fur baby from ingesting tree water because it often contains preservatives that are sugar based which are very inviting to pets, but also toxic chemicals like fertilizers, insecticides and flame retardants.
5. Keep holiday lights high on the tree because some lights can overheat and burn fur babies. Also, inquisitive fur babies can pull lights from the tree and become tangled in them, which increases the chance of chewing on the wires, which can electrocute.
6. Prevent your fur baby from chewing on live or artificial tree needles because they are sharp and can irritate their mouth and digestive tract. Also, avoid using artificial snow sprays or scents on your tree.
As always if you suspect your pet has any health problems please seek treatment from your veterinarian. We hope you are having a great holiday season!